Wednesday, December 21, 2005

OB Appointment #13

December 19, 2005 - 2:20 p.m. - Phillip Agrusa, MD
40 Weeks - 3 Days

Weight: -2 ½ lb. / + 13 ½ lbs. overall
Blood Pressure: 120/70
Baby's Heartrate: good
Height of Fundus: good

I saw Dr. Agrusa because the nurse practitioner I had the appointment with was out sick. Dr Agrusa was my doctor during my last pregnancy. I like him better than the nurse so that was fine with me.

I had the non-stress test (NST). It was very uncomfortable. First of all I realized that they were going to have me lie on my back. That boggles my mind. You are told NOT to lie on your back past a certain point of pregancy because of the pressure it puts on major blood vessels and the discomfort it then causes. I asked the nurse how long I was expected to be in that position. She said about 20 minutes. I told her that there was no way I could tolerate that. I end up with major back pain and really bad nausea. Could I lie on my side? She said yes. She then strapped onto my belly the two monitors. One to monitor the baby's heartrate and one to monitor my contractions. I had with me a big ol' thick novel that I thought I would read during this time but that didn't work out so well.

It turns out that laying on my side wasn't satisfactory either. They are really not set up for doing this test properly. They need a bigger bed, not just an exam table. They need a bunch of pillows to prop up all the parts a pregnant woman needs propped up. I ended up using my book under my head for a while as a pillow. Later I used it between my knees because my hips were killing me. I just laid there wondering when it would end. I just about said 'forget it' and took the monitors off myself and called it quits. Dr. Agrusa came in and looked at the paper record of the baby's heart rate and said, "You have a perfect baby. Looks good." I really don't think I need this test. Why would they assume there is a problem in the first place? There is no sign or hint of a problem so it irks me that they proceed with that assumption. I hope I have this baby before Friday(12/23) because I'm scheduled for another NST then. Here's hoping.


BTW, I seem to have a mental block against absorbing the rules on how to use the lay/lie verbs. I just don't get it. I am convinced that I am in error where that is concerned in this post. I admit it. I know it's probably wrong, though hopefully, not every time!!

2 comments:

AmberJ said...

RE: BTW: I seem to remember my history (?) teacher explaining that you lay down, but you tell a lie.

Okay, teachers, is that right?

Megan said...

Hang in there!