Sunday, April 15, 2018

Is God's Love Reckless?

I didn't even know there was a debate over this song (Reckless Love) until I sat down to research the word "reckless" and to explore the idea of the supposed recklessness of God's Love. It has been troubling me for a while now so it was time to hash it out.  I found an article that says all the things I've been thinking about this (plus a whole lot more.) See link below.  My thoughts?  I think words matter.  Unless someone has redefined the word, I cannot see how God's Love is reckless. It's relentless, but not reckless.


reckless

[rek-lis]
adjective
1.
utterly unconcerned about the consequences of some action; without caution; careless (usually followed by of):
to be reckless of danger.
2.
characterized by or proceeding from such carelessness:

I can see how it might appear reckless, but it's just not.  How can it be? God is Love, and God does what He does on purpose, with purpose, with care, with design, with intention.  All of these things are the direct opposite of recklessness. Do we see Him or His Love (which are one and the same) ever described in Scripture as "reckless."  I don't know.  I don't think so...

Overall, I like the song, but the use (misuse?) of that one word kind of ruins it for me. I have yet to read a convincing argument in defense of this adjective as an accurate, truthful descriptor for the love of God.

Anyway, here's a link to the article I mentioned earlier. This author says what I'm thinking better than I can say it.
https://gospelreminders.org/2017/06/19/is-gods-love-reckless/

Here's a link to the song if you're interested:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc6SSHuZvQE

Your thoughts?

No comments: