Tuesday, October 09, 2007

WFMW - Fingers in Doors

Elise's cool tip today reminded me of something I do that might be helpful to others too. I take a partly folded hand towel and drape it over the top of any door that I don't want my tiny ones to be able to close. This can accomplish several things.

1.) They can't close the door and then sit down in front of it thereby preventing me from getting in when they're crying because they're trapped.

2.) Since they can't close the door all the way it's harder to get their fingers pinched in the knob side of the door. Now if I could just figure out how to protect their fingers from the hinge side. (THAT was a fun ER visit!)

3.) It's also handy on those warm, breezy nights when you have the windows open and the wind is sucking the door open and then pushing it back and it's a little loud and startling and it's even freaking out your 11-year-old daughter! With the towel over the door, the latch doesn't hit against the strike plate (is that one word or two?) and sleep isn't rudely interrupted. Not by that anyway.

It's worked for me for many years.

See what working for the rest of the crowd over at Rocks In My Dryer.

6 comments:

Jen said...

What a great idea!! I'll have to try this now that our littlest one is on the move by herself now.

Kathy Days said...

Great idea! Love it!

Kara said...

Good tip!

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic idea!!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Okay, as brilliant as I've thought myself over the whole scrunchie thing, I think you have me beat here! :)

The scrunchies don't keep the doors from closing - when windows are open, they'll slam like crazy! I love the idea of putting a folded hand towel over the top! Especially since Eliana has taken to shutting the door and then sitting in in front of it in tears...

Anonymous said...

great tip!

(i'm so behind on reading blogs, sorry)