Sunday, September 30, 2007

Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Songs

The DeputyHeadmistress at The Common Room has a post every Sunday called Sunday Hymn Post. I've enjoyed it very much especially since I really miss singing hymns regularly at church. A good old hymn is hard to come by. So I've decided to copy her idea and post a hymn here each Sunday. Since I like many different types of church songs I may post something other than a hymn here sometimes too. Whatever strikes my fancy or whatever song God is using to minister to me. That's why I'm calling it Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, a phrase I borrowed from Ephesians 5:19: speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord;

I KNOW WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED

I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.

Refrain

But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart.

Refrain

I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing us of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.

Refrain

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.

Refrain

I know not when my Lord may come,
At night or noonday fair,
Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
Or meet Him in the air.

Refrain

Words: Dan­i­el W. Whit­tle, in Gos­pel Hymns No. 4, 1883.
Music:
James Mc­Gran­a­han

Source: CyberHymnal.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here at the computer with my back on ice, trying to feel better and I decided to go to your blog to hear some christian music and here was your entry about song, hymns and spiritual songs, made me smile!!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

How lovely! I love hymns as well - I'm so thankful that our church sings them every week. This choice is so precious.

My sister - inhisimage-bjk.blogspot.com - also posts hymns almost every Sunday, as well as speakablegifts.blogspot.com.

Now I have another place to come and enjoy the choices! I will be singing yours for the rest of this day...