Sunday, July 08, 2007

More than I can handle

Have you ever heard anyone say that 'God will not give you more than you can handle'? Do you agree with that statement? I'm not so sure that I do. Where does that theology come from? I believe that it's based on 1 Corinthians 10:13, which states,

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
First of all, it seems to me that this scripture is talking about temptation. It's saying that there IS an escape for each and every temptation that we face. It's not talking about heavy burdens, sick children for days on end, losses, financial crises, cancer, death, or any of the myriad of troubles that we encounter in this very fallen world.

Secondly, whether it's God giving us burdens to bear or it's God allowing Satan to pile these things on us, I'm not quite sure. Maybe it's both. What I am sure of is that we do indeed have more than we can handle. Isn't it rather arrogant of us to think that we can adequately handle anything without God's help? We do have more than we can handle because it's only then, when we get to the end of ourselves and of our own resources, that we can really see our need for a Savior. It's then that our faith and trust in God's provision can be exercised.
So what should I think when I'm having troubles and I wonder how much more I can take?
Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you.
Deut. 31:6
or
The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?
Psalm 118:6
or
As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth.
Job 19:25
and of course, Psalm 18. It's my favorite Psalm, the whole thing, so it's hard to pick an excerpt. Here's a few:
...The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge...

...In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, And my cry for help before Him came into His ears...

...He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me...

...For You light my lamp; The LORD my God illumines my darkness. For by You I can run upon a troop; And by my God I can leap over a wall...

...For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God, The God who girds me with strength...

...The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock; And exalted be the God of my salvation...
Yes, I have way more than I can handle but it's not too much for my most awesome, holy Lord. the Author and Finisher of my faith.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My post from last night is similar to this one! Thanks for the reminder and all the scriptures.

Donna said...

Love this one, Cindee. Thanks for posting it...I plan on reading all of Psalm 18 tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Great point! I know I have more in my life than I can handle! I'm thankful that I don't have to!

Georgia Mom
http://georgiamom.wordpress.com/