Saturday, June 10, 2006

Kabob Recipe

As requested, here is the recipe. I don’t measure much but this is approximately what I did:

Beef and chicken cut into about 1-inch cubes
Refrigerate it over night in a ziplock bag containing:

1 – 18 oz. bottle of BBQ sauce
the juice of one lemon (about 1/4-1/3 cup)
½ cup of virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. parsley flakes
salt & pepper (I didn’t measure)

Next day:
Cut up veggies. I used:

1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 onion
a few mushrooms
a few cherry tomatoes

Layer the meat and veggies onto SOAKED skewers. (I only soaked mine the 20 minutes it said on the package. Next time I’ll do it AT LEAST one hour. The exposed ends scorched badly!) I did beef kabobs and chicken kabobs. Both with veggies. I only put on one tomato per skewer and I didn’t always use a tomato since the kids don’t like ‘em. Next time I’ll use more than one onion. One wasn’t enough for me!!

Place kabobs on a well-heated grill over medium to medium high heat. You’ll have to figure this out a bit on your own since grill vary quite a lot! Cook for about 10 minutes or so before trying to turn the kabobs. If the chicken sticks it’s probably not ready to turn. Use the leftover marinade from the bag to baste over the kabobs while they are cooking. Be sure to COOK COMPLETELY after the last time you brush it because you have raw chicken juices (UGH!!) in that marinade. Don’t give it a final brush and then immediately remove it from the grill!!!!!

Just watch it and turn them every once in a while to cook evenly on all sides. I took a hunk of chicken off a skewer and cut into it to test for doneness. I didn’t know how else to know. I think it took about 20-25 minutes to cook. The prep work takes longer than the actual cooking time.

The beef turned out a little tough. I don’t know the best cut of meat to use for this purpose and I probably didn’t choose well. (I used top round steak) The chicken breast was wonderful and I prefer chicken anyway!!

There was probably a shorter way of saying all this but I’m not known for being pithy!! J

Let me know if you try this and how it turned out!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

MMMMMM...... I gonna try this one.

Anonymous said...

i'll have to try this