Thursday, September 21, 2006

Three Things Thursday ~ Vol. 2 No. 7

1.) I'm finding that I really miss the way church "used to be". I'm missing the good old hymns (I never was tired of them in the first place) and I'm increasingly disenchanted with the newer, fluffy songs. It's true that there are some really, really good new songs and some fluffy old ones, but by and large I'd like to go back to the old music or at least a good mix of the old and new.

"Make new friends but keep the old.
One is silver and the other gold."

2.) I dislike church shopping because of the disconnectedness that accompanies it.

3.) I kind of like church shopping as it gives me a chance to meet new people and renew acquaintences with old friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just found a new church this summer. Our old one was about 3,000+ members and we were tired of the "new church" ways. Music etc. We now go to a church that has hymns, and praise chorus'. They are more conservative, and it is so wonderful!

Anonymous said...

We are "church shopping" right now. We went to one church for a year after moving here. I loved the music - contemporary feel - but the words focused on God and his Character - not so much like what I was encountering as I left CA - songs about what God does for us or how he makes us feel - etc. But we honestly tried and just couldn't get connected. We are visiting a very small church which sings really old hymns, most of which I don't know (though I know and love a lot of hymns) - but the people seem very friendly and concerned that we feel welcome and I want to visit at least until Jan so Em can do the Christmas musical and then we will decide to stay or keep looking.