Friday, December 08, 2006

Will Smith & Marriage

I know that my reading a magazine article about someone does not mean that I now KNOW that person but I'm still very impressed by the quotes I just read from Will Smith in (Dec '06) Reader's Digest. Here's what I read:

RD: You and Jada have been married nine years and, by all
accounts, are very happy. What's the key?
Smith: Communication. And divorce cannot be an option.

RD:
Your first marriage ended in divorce.
Smith: That is probably the most painful loss of my life. I quit. I could have fixed it. It really was not that bad.

RD:
Some would say there's no reason to stay if a marriage isn't good.
Smith:
Once you say that, you've lost. With Jada, I stood up in front of God and my family and friends and said, "Till death do us part." So there are two possible outcomes: We are going to be together till death, or I am dead.

RD:
But people do have problems in marriage.
Smith: Jada and I have problems; everybody has problems. People ask, "What happens if you made a mistake?" Well, you should be a little more careful before you stand up in front of God and you family and friends and say, "Till death do us part."

Wow. It's not that often that you find ANYONE with that kind of commitment to marriage.

No comments: